This factsheet identifies factors the factors that encourage and discourage boys from staying in school.
‘Push’ factors include: • Embarrassment of shame.
• Family issues.
• School punishment.
• Culture norms and practices.
• Peer pressure and personal issues.
• A desire by some boys to make money.
• Limited accessibility.
‘Pull’ factors include:
• Opportunities to participate in fun activities.
• Family support.
• Encouragement from friends.
• Positive teacher attitudes.
• Proactive classroom management.
• Community outreach and follow up on non-attendees.
• Nutrition interventions.
• Instilling long-term visions to motivate attendance