Equality Matters is a five‑year strategy developed to increase equality of development outcomes for women, men, girls and boys across the Australian‑funded aid program in Papua New Guinea. It also aims to support women’s empowerment. As such, the strategy responds to, and is aligned with both Papua New Guinea’s and Australia’s gender equality commitments.
The strategy contains:
• An outline the Papua New Guinean Government’s gender policy consultation findings and directions.
• The Australian Government’s findings on the status of gender equality in its Papua New Guinea program through stocktakes undertaken in 2008 and 2009.
• The strategy’s overall approach.
• The principles behind the work.
• A phased implementation approach.
• A management framework.
It also includes annexes to support implementing staff, including definitions of gender concepts, and a road map for developing gender equality action plans.