This literature review and annotated bibliography synthesises material on the social context in addressing violence against women. It covers the following themes:
• Challenges in Addressing Violence Against Women.
• Nature and Extent of Violence Against Women.
• Accessing Support Services.
• Access to Justice for Women and Girls.
• Preventing Violence Against Women.
• Recommendations for Addressing Violence Against Women.
The literature contains some general comments about the situation across Pacific Island Countries, followed by specific information for each Pacific Island Country, where available. The amount of information available on each Pacific Island Country varies. The most comprehensive information comes from countries which form part of the Pacific Multi-Site Study on the Effects of Violence Against Women on Family Health and Safety (Kiribati, Samoa and Solomon Islands). There are some countries for which very little information is available, such as Niue, Nauru and Tokelau.